If you can say ‘yes’ to ONE of the questions below, then how about a free trip on a tall ship from Falmouth to Spain this summer?
- I attended Brannel School
- I attended Roseland Academy
- I attended Restormel Academy
- I heard about this through Cornwall Marine Academy
If one of these is you, read on…
Adventure of a lifetime
- The Tall Ships are coming to Falmouth in August 2021 for the start of their race from England to Spain
- Roseland Youth Sailing Trust has booked places on Tall Ship Maybe for 10 young people, aged 16 to 18, to take part in the 10-day voyage, sailing from Falmouth on 18 August and arriving at A Coruna on 28 August
- All costs, including berth, insurance and return travel will be covered by our sponsors, so the trip is completely free
- You’ll be trained how to rig the sails, tie knots, navigate at sea and steer the ship
- You’ll be expected to do your share of hard work – and have a lot of fun doing it
- Tall Ship Maybe is a historic two masted sailing vessel, 24m in length. She can accommodate 14 voyagers and four crew
- You can find out more about life on board and what you will need to bring at http://www.maybe-sailing.com/our-ships/before-you-sail/
How do I apply?
- To apply for a place, use the form at the bottom of this page. The closing date for application is 23 April
- Selected applicants will be invited to send us a short video about themselves. If you’re through to this stage, you’ll hear from us around 27 April and will need to submit your video by 4 May
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview. If you’re shortlisted, you’ll hear from us on 9 May. Interviews will take place between 9 and 14 May by zoom
- The 10 voyagers will be announced on 19 May
Essential information for applicants
To qualify as an applicant
- You will be aged 16-18 at the time of the voyage and will EITHER have attended Brannel School, Roseland Academy or Restormel Academy OR have been recommended to apply via Cornwall Marine Academy
To qualify for the shortlist (by 9 May)
- You will have shown that you are a team player, and that you will enjoy and benefit from this adventure
- You will hold or have applied for a passport valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in Spain (ie. valid at least until end Feb 2022).
To qualify for one of the 10 places (by 19 May)
- You must be available for a training day on Wednesday 2 June at Polkerris Beach, St Austell, to meet your fellow-voyagers and to get a feel for life on board
- Although all voyage costs are covered by our sponsors, you agree to undertake some sort of fundraising for Roseland Youth Sailing Trust, helping other young people benefit from learning to sail. This must be carried out before 18 August as evidence of your commitment to the voyage and as a way of saying thank you.